I decided to keep my Hellomat vertical. Arcade has to be that way! To add a little something extra I will replace one button with a spinner. In order not to cut new holes in my sacred CPO, I made a little aluminum plate that would be held in place by the joystick and the remaining button. It all fits very well.
Found this knop in an old Telefunken receiver that I pealed out of our rubbish dump at work. Luckily there where two and the one for tuning in stations had a big, massive flywheel on its back – perfect for a good spinner.
First thing I always do when building things is that I try to imagine how the new part will blend with the original. I made a couple designs for the button top, as it is fairly scratched. I used “id plate labels” from Avery (No. 6013), but the print is lacking colors and time will show how long it will last. For the first test, they are just fine.
Pictures for you:
Looks really nice – I like it a lot, but it did not spin very well. The original mount form the receiver was riveted and I had to be a little brute to get it out. Now it is unusable. I got new flat ball-bearings from the local hardware store and it now turns smooth and runs like forever.
Next will be the mousehack…